DETROIT – Ford Motor said Tuesday it hired former Tesla and Apple executive Doug Field to lead its emerging technology efforts, a key focus for the automaker under its new Ford+ turnaround plan. Field — who led development of Tesla’s Model 3 —most recently served as vice president of special projects at Apple, which reportedly included the tech giant’s Titan car project. The hire is a major addition for Ford and a big hit to Apple and its secret car project, which the company has yet to confirm exists.
“I think any time you lose a well-respected, experienced executive who, as best we can tell, was really directing the automotive efforts at Apple, it’s a blow to any company,” Bernstein analyst Toni Sacconaghi, who covers the iPhone...
Check out the new 2022 Ford F150 Lightning by looking at a cutaway and a Platinum model. We see that the Lightning F-150 is built just like an F150 while examining the battery, motors, aerodynamics, and mega power frunk that make it different. Town and Country TV also showcases technology such as the tailgate step, work surface, and outlets that make the Ford Lightning similar to the Ford F-150. Having the ability to see the cutaway was very informative and gave us an idea of the underpinnings of the vehicle.
Something to note about the Lighting is that it has dual motors, one in the front and one in the back. This vehicle comes with an eight-year, 100,000 mile warranty on the electrical components. It also features independent rear...
As worsening storms deprive more neighborhoods of power, the home-generator function of the new Ford F-150 Lightning has no doubt helped sell out 120,000 pre-orders. Folks who buy a Lightning and opt for the Ford Charge Station Pro home charger unit will be the first customers capable of returning power to their home or participating in vehicle-to-grid charging, dropping energy back into the grid for credits or payments from energy companies.
Contine Reading @ Motortrend
Ford Motor has doubled its production target for the F-150 Lightning because of strong early demand for the full-sized electric pickup truck ahead of its 2022 launch and plans to spend an additional $850 million to meet that target, several people and suppliers familiar with the plans told Reuters. The No. 2 U.S. automaker is targeting annual production of more than 80,000 in 2024, up from its prior target of more than 40,000, according to the sources, who asked not to be identified.
“They were pleasantly surprised by the demand for the Lightning,” one of the sources said of Ford officials.
Continue reading @ CNBC
New factory video. Tom visit's Ford's Dearborn Rouge Electric Vehicle Center and gets to take a ride in the Ford F-150 Lightning. He also gets to check out the mega power frunk with Nancy Reppenhagen, responsible for overseeing the frunk development. He then talks about charging the F-150 Lightning and explains Ford's intelligent backup power system and what's needed to have that feature enabled.
DETROIT – Ford Motor’s upcoming F-150 Lightning electric pickup is already attracting potentially new customers to the automaker. The company on Wednesday said it has received more than 120,000 reservations for the vehicle since its debut in May. Of which, about 75%, or 90,000, are new to Ford, according to the company. While the reservations are non-binding and only require a $100 deposit, such a high percentage of potential new buyers is impressive for any vehicle as well as sales expectations.
A big chunk of those reservations could end up as sales. Ford last month said it has converted about 66% of the 190,000 reservations for its recently launched Bronco SUV to orders. Ford still has a bit of catching up to do to catch up to...
Former Ford engineer Sandy Munro and his team went to Ford Dearborn Development Center to check out the all Electric 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning. He and his team came away impressed with the usual things, like the large frunk, the truck’s ability to power an entire home, interior workspace, and other utilitarian options. However his most notable mention was the isolated battery pack from the rest of the truck. Check out the full video below:
DETROIT — General Motors and its Cruise robo-taxi subsidiary have filed a lawsuit to stop Ford from using the name "BlueCruise" to market its hands-free driving technology, the companies said on Saturday. In a statement released shortly after midnight Detroit time, GM said Ford's use of the BlueCruise name infringed on GM's Super Cruise trademark, as well as Cruise's trademark.
"While GM had hoped to resolve the trademark infringement matter with Ford amicably, we were left with no choice but to vigorously defend our brands and protect the equity our products and technology have earned over several years in the market," GM said in its statement.
In the lawsuit, filed on Friday, GM said the automakers had held "protracted discussions"...